A Woman's Guide to Living With Heart DiseaseBook - 2017
Heart disease is the leading cause of death for women worldwide. Yet most people are still unaware that heart disease is not just a man's problem. Carolyn Thomas, a heart attack survivor herself, is on a mission to educate women about their heart health. Based on her popular Heart Sisters blog, which has attracted more than 10 million views from readers in 190 countries, A Woman's Guide to Living with Heart Disease combines personal experience and medical knowledge to help women learn how to understand and manage a catastrophic diagnosis.
In A Woman's Guide to Living with Heart Disease , Thomas explains
* how to recognize the early signs of a heart attack
* why women often delay seeking treatment--and how to overcome that impulse
* the link between pregnancy complications and future heart disease
* why so many women with heart disease are misdiagnosed--and how to help yourself get an accurate diagnosis
* the importance of cardiac rehabilitation in lowering mortality risk
* what to expect during your recovery from a heart attack
* how the surreal process of coping with heart disease may affect your daily life
* methods for treating heart disease-related depression without drugs
Equal parts memoir about a misdiagnosed heart attack, guide to the predictable stages of heart disease--from grief to resilience--and patient-friendly translation of important science-based findings on women's unique heart issues, this book is an essential read. Whether you're a freshly diagnosed patient, a woman who's been living with heart disease for years, or a practitioner who cares about women's health, A Woman's Guide to Living with Heart Disease will help you feel less alone and advocate for better health care.